Do Homeschoolers need high school diplomas?
As I am now homeschooling a high school senior for the third time I thought I would answer a question many homeschoolers of high schoolers ask: How do I get a high school diploma for my homeschooler and do they even need one?
The short answer is no.
Homeschoolers, in most cases, do not need a high school diploma.
In general a high school transcript is all that is needed to prove a person completed a high school education. In fact colleges and most other academic institutions require a transcript over a diploma. Neither of my sons have homeschool high school diplomas and both have gone on to higher education and employment without being asked to present a diploma. (Although both have been asked for transcripts)
Even if you don’t need a high school diploma you might want one.
Reasons you might want a homeschool high school diploma anyway include:
- To frame on the wall.
- To avoid giving out a transcript with poor marks.
- Presenting a diploma to prove you graduated might be easier than submitting an entire transcript.
- For those not pursuing higher education it gives some closure to your education.
Where do I get a homeschool high school diploma?
Deciding on how and where to get a diploma for your homeschooler is a personal decision. Keep in mind a diploma really is just a piece of paper so getting one is not difficult at all. It is completely legitimate to issue a diploma on our own as long as you follow your state’s homeschool laws.
- Make one on your own: This option is simple and affordable. Get some quality paper and use a certificate template on your word processor. Easy. Peasy. Done!
- Order one from a supplier: There are many different companies who print beautiful diplomas for homeschoolers. Homeschooldiploma.com offers a variety of choices that can be customized.
- Use an accredited homeschool umbrella program: This only works if you start early. Although most have rather stringent requirements some are rather flexible. This is not my favorite option because I think the advantages of homeschooling high school are the independence so don’t let yourself be boxed in. I understand though some people are just more comfortable with this option.
A homeschool high school diploma is not really necessary. It is much more important to focus on creating a solid transcript relecting your child’s homeschool curriculum than it is to have a diploma. If you do want a diploma, however, it’s easy to issue one! So don’t worry and just enjoy your child’s final years homeschooling.